early Australian Courthouses
The Albany Courthouse is an operating Magistrates Court for civil and criminal matters in Albany, Western Australia. On the shores of the beautiful King George Sound, the first European settlement in 1826 was really a penal colony under the jurisdiction of the New South Wales Colony, and the first ‘courthouse’ as such a simple thatched roof affair. More history can be read on the WA Government’s Department of Justice page.
The current Orange Courthouse building was designed by the Colonial Government Architect James Barnet. Construction was completed in 1883. Previous buildings existed on the site, the first being erected in 1847, around the time of the town’s settlement, and operated as a Court of Petty Sessions, being the usual arrangements in those times. Orange was proclaimed a municipality in 1860, the first meeting being held in the Courthouse, located on the same site as today, but a different structure.
The old Port Adelaide Courthouse constructed in 1882 lies adjacent to the earlier Port Adelaide Police Station built in 1861. Inquests into deaths, often due to drownings following heavy drinking at local pubs, were held. These were inquests by juries in those times before the local police magistrate.
In 1858 a police station and lockup was constructed in Strathalbyn, a rapidly developing rural region south of Adelaide. A Courthouse soon followed, built of local stone.
The former Courthouse in Berry was designed by the colonial government architect James Barnet in the Greek Revival Style. No longer operating as a courthouse the building has been restored and is admirably surrounded by beautiful lush, formal gardens. The website of the Berry Courthouse Conservation Committee contains information on the history of Berry Courthouse, the building and its restoration.
Northam Courthouse, Wellington Street, Northam; a Magistrates Court of Western Australia.
The Northam Courthouse is an operating Magistrates Court serving the agricultural community of Northam, west of Perth in Western Australia.
Gundagai is a country town on the Murrumbidgee River in southern NSW. Famous for its statue of a dog sitting on a tuckerbox, immortalised in a song, Gundagai has a long history of settlement. The Gundagai Courthouse occupies an elevated position above the main street, affording it a commanding view over the township and the surrounding picturesque river valley.