colonial Australian Courthouses
The current Orange Courthouse building was designed by the Colonial Government Architect James Barnet. Construction was completed in 1883. Previous buildings existed on the site, the first being erected in 1847, around the time of the town’s settlement, and operated as a Court of Petty Sessions, being the usual arrangements in those times.
Orange was proclaimed a municipality in 1860, the first meeting being held in the Courthouse, located on the same site as today, but a different structure.
The old Darwin Courthouse was constructed in 1884 of stone and other material from local sources. Following Cyclone Tracy it underwent extensive restoration and now used for administration.
The old Port Adelaide Courthouse constructed in 1882 lies adjacent to the earlier Port Adelaide Police Station built in 1861. Inquests into deaths, often due to drownings following heavy drinking at local pubs, were held. These were inquests by juries in those times before the local police magistrate.
In 1858 a police station and lockup was constructed in Strathalbyn, a rapidly developing rural region south of Adelaide. A Courthouse soon followed, built of local stone.
The Armidale Courthouse and Sherriffs Office at 143-145 Beardy Street, Armidale, in the Northern Tablelands was an operating Local Court of New South Wales until January 2014. The first courthouse was constructed in 1844 with a more substantial building erected in 1858, in the Classical Revival style.
The former Courthouse in Berry was designed by the colonial government architect James Barnet in the Greek Revival Style. No longer operating as a courthouse the building has been restored and is admirably surrounded by beautiful lush, formal gardens.
The website of the Berry Courthouse Conservation Committee contains information on the history of Berry Courthouse, the building and its restoration.
Gundagai is a country town on the Murrumbidgee River in southern NSW. Famous for its statue of a dog sitting on a tuckerbox, immortalised in a song, Gundagai has a long history of settlement. The Gundagai Courthouse occupies an elevated position above the main street, affording it a commanding view over the township and the surrounding picturesque river valley.
When the local magistrate felt that it was no longer possible to maintain the required order and decorum for a court of justice in the local Bush Inn, the drive was on for a purpose built courthouse.