In 1858 a police station and lockup was constructed in Strathalbyn, a rapidly developing rural region south of Adelaide. A Courthouse soon followed, built of local stone.
The Armidale Courthouse and Sherriffs Office at 143-145 Beardy Street, Armidale, in the Northern Tablelands was an operating Local Court of New South Wales until January 2014. The first courthouse was constructed in 1844 with a more substantial building erected in 1858, in the Classical Revival style.
The Cairns Courthouse constructed in 1919 was described as a ‘graceful and imposing structure’. A far cry from the previous ‘disgraceful courthouse’.
Manly Courthouse was first constructed in 1909 on the site of the former Ivanhoe Hotel and regarded as a significant development.
While the locality had no crime to speak of it was observed the residents had the right to have a court of their own to save the inconvenience of having to travel across the water to settle their troubles.
Glen Innes Courthouse 1873 is the design work of James Barnet, built in local stone. The Courthouse is still operational as a local court in New South Wales, and previously a Mining Warden’s Court. The locality of Glen Innes is of Scottish heritage.
The Police Court or Water Police Court in Phillip Street, Sydney near the busy waterfront of Circular Quay, no longer operates as a courthouse. Instead it is home to the Justice and Police Museum, telling stories of earlier times when water transport, merchant shipping and a busy harbour required regulating and policing to keep law and order in a rapidly developing colony.
The Norwood Courthouse 1937 in Norwood, Adelaide was one of the few police courthouse buildings built during the interwar period. It was reported at the time as being the ‘most commanding building outside the City’.
Courthouses in Australia reflect a diverse heritage of built form to meet colonial needs for the administration of justice.
The current Clare Courthouse was constructed in 1878 and occupied in 1880. The first Courthouse was constructed on a different site in 1850, and is now a museum.
Please note: if you have landed here looking to contact the Court please see the Court Sitting Locations of the SA Courts Administration Authority here for information.
In 1872 the Courthouse at Holbrook, once known as Germanton, housed a very small courtroom, described as an “apology”. Despite the cramped conditions, many matters were dealt within it.